Friday, September 07, 2007

Watch that step! It's a doozie!

Labor Day weekend our friends The Baldwins invited us to their family condo in St. George. We love going there with them and knew it would be a nice relaxing weekend. We decided to go to Zions and do some hiking while we were there. We planned to hike to the Emerald Pools and then on the Narrows. About a mile up and right before the middle pool I was walking when all of the sudden CRACK. I somehow stepped on uneven ground and my ankle rolled and I fell down. I have never had anything like that happen before, so for a minute I was stunned. I got up and realized it wasn't my ankle that was hurting but my left side of my foot. Here we were 1 mile up and the only way down was to walk down. So it took us about an hour and it hurt like crazy. But we did it. Jim carried me down on his back 1/2 the way and I hobbled down the rest. I knew it wasn't a sprain and needed to get checked out. After getting off the mountain and riding the shuttle back to the car we headed to St. George. That is where Jim and I spent the next 4 hours in the ER. I guess when it is a holiday, a weekend and evening the ER is really busy. Also, when you first get there and they ask you what your pain level is from 1-10 and you are honest and say a 5. Be prepared to be the LAST one called back. I try to not be much of a complainer but maybe I should have and I would have gotten in a lot sooner. Anyway....I have a broken foot. I don't know exactly how bad it is. They put me in a walking cast and gave me crutches and told me to make an appt. with the Dr. when I got home. So, I go see the Dr. on Monday since the swelling will be down and they can cast it or put me in a walking boot. I have never broken a bone in my body. I am usually a very careful person. I wear high heals 75% of my life and I have never gotten hurt. This seriously sucks. I hate crutches. I don't like being able to do anything for myself. Jim has been so great. He does everything for me. There is no way I would have made it without him. Also, I have to give him props for his awesome Boy Scout first aid dressing he put on my foot to hold the ice bag and give it some pressure. Some nice men on the trail gave us a bandanna and handkerchief and he went to town.
Anyway, that pretty much was our weekend. After that I couldn't do anything else but lay around. This week at work has been crappy, I hate not being able to walk. I am crossing my fingers for a walking cast.
I have some pictures of the weekend. Enjoy!

My sweet Boy Scout first aid dressing

Leaving the ER after 4 hours!!!
Disclaimer--yes, I was wearing my Chacos but let me tell you I have hiked in them many a time and never had anything happen to me. Jim said it was the shoes I say it was the ground. Either way I still love my Chaco sandals and will never stop wearing them.

I made Jim take a picture with me after I had fallen. We hadn't taken any of the two of us and I wanted at least one of us that day! He was faking his smile...he just wanted to get me down the mountain. He is so cute.

Jim on the hike up

Jim, Todd and Cambry. She was a trooper, only 4 months old and she did great all day.

A beautiful sunset on our way to St. George


Fernandez Family said...

Oh my gosh! i'm glad you are okay, but what a bummer. I've learned the ER thing too...always a 10 for pain. Fake tears work too. Nice that even after you fell you still remembered to get a great picture of you and Jim...too cute! I miss you guys!

pamelasue said...

wow! what a holiday to remember! I'm glad you made it down. What an ordeal. I agree, nice touch on getting the photo before hiking down. You are so funny. Love ya!

Traci said...

Bummer!!!! So glad you are doing alright and that you have a great hubby to help you out!! Keep us posted on how you are doing and what your doc says!!
I need some Chacos. People rave about those and glad to hear you still do!